Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Train spotters

Today I took my son to visit the National Railway Museum in York. It's free to get in and has some big trains in it. I'm not a railway mentalist like some people, but travelling by train to a railway museum brings you into close proximity with the geniune trainspotting fruitcakes. There are men on trains making a note of train numbers as they pass, odd-looking grubby gentlemen exchanging notes at the remote ends of station platforms and grown adults drooling over model railway exhibits.

I was initially curious to see what these people got up to so I read around the subject a bit on Wikipedia and Google but quickly lost interest. They are a strange breed indeed. Learn the lingo here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Polarbear said...

I like they nicknames for virgin trains
"vomet-comets" and "vermin"

So does he know all about Nigel Gresley now?

1:09 pm  
Blogger Glynn said...

Sir Nigel Gresley, actually. But we don't read the educational stuff, just look at the trains have a pic-nic and then off again.

1:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home