Friday, October 26, 2007

The Arcade Fire

Arcade FireContinuing the tradition of getting into bands only 3 or 4 years too late, I am now going to go on about The Arcade Fire at some length as if I was into them first, completely ignoring the fact that they passed me by. First some background.

Background

The Arcade Fire are a Canadian band with formidable line up of musicians playing a wide variety of instruments. They look like the cast of Witness carrying violins and hurdy-gurdys. They have released two albums to critical acclaim and have a reputation for stunning live shows.

Why are they worthy of a mention?

Their music has an anthemic and quasi-religious quality which leaves one quite breathless. Sometimes music sends a shiver up your spine, but this stuff is more potent than that - it gives you a shiver that won't go away. I don't think it's an instant fix. I think you have to listen to the albums a few times and then have a go at the live versions on YouTube and you may see what I mean. Songs like Crown of Love or Wake Up from "Funeral" or Ocean of Noise from "Neon Bible" are prime Arcade Fire fare.

Is it just me?

Well no it isn't. They seem to have a devout following including celebrity endorsements from David Byrne, U2 and David Bowie. Neil Hannon of the Divine Comedy said

Arcade Fire is the best band I have heard in the last five years. They are the best new thing I have heard in centuries. It is great when a band comes along and you really weren't expecting them, or anything sounding like them and I love that record to bits. I play it over and over.


See Arcade Fire pictures here

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home